Conor McGregor rolled into the White House on St. Patrick’s Day, calling it “the most important meeting of (Ireland’s) future” as he sat down with President Donald Trump. The UFC’s former two-division kingpin didn’t just show up for a photo op on Monday—he got deep into it, meeting with Trump’s team and then stepping up to the White House press room podium alongside Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt for a surprise briefing. McGregor wasn’t there to talk knockouts; he had Ireland’s woes on his mind, and he let it rip.

“I’m here to raise the issues the people of Ireland face,” McGregor said. “It’ll be music to the people of Ireland’s ears because never on the main stage has the issues that Ireland face been spoke. Our government has long since abandoned the voices of the people of Ireland, and it’s high time that America is made aware of what is going on in Ireland. What is going on in Ireland is a travesty. Our government is the government of zero action with zero accountability. Our money is being spent on overseas issues that has nothing to do with the Irish people.

“The illegal immigration racket is running ravage on the country. There are rural towns in Ireland that have been overrun in one swoop, that have become a minority in one swoop. The issues need to be addressed, and the 40 million Irish Americans need to hear this. Because if not, there will be no place to come home and visit.” It’s classic McGregor—fiery, unfiltered, and ready to shake things up. He’s been hammering these points on Twitter for months, railing against Ireland’s leadership and even teasing a run for office. Now, he’s taking his case straight to Trump, betting on America’s “big bro” status to throw Ireland a lifeline.

Not everyone’s buying what he’s selling, though. Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin, who had a tense White House visit with Trump just last week, fired back on X. “St. Patrick’s Day around the world is a day rooted in community, humanity, friendship and fellowship,” Martin wrote. “Conor McGregor’s remarks are wrong, and do not reflect the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, or the views of the people of Ireland.” Ouch—Martin’s not here for McGregor’s doom-and-gloom take, especially not on a day meant for shamrocks and good vibes. The two clearly aren’t sipping Guinness together anytime soon.

At 36, McGregor’s life outside the cage is as wild as ever. He hasn’t fought since snapping his leg against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 in July 2021, and legal headaches keep piling up. Last November, an Irish civil court nailed him for a 2018 sexual assault, ordering him to pay Nikita Hand about $258,440—he’s appealing that one. Then there’s another lawsuit brewing in the U.S., claiming sexual battery at a 2023 NBA Finals game in Miami. Yet here he is, still landing invites to the White House from Trump, a guy who’s had his own legal battles, like that 2023 ruling finding him liable for sexually abusing and defaming E. Jean Carroll back in ’96. Birds of a feather, maybe?

McGregor’s been channeling his inner Trump lately, turning up the volume on Ireland’s political mess. He’s all about that anti-establishment energy—blasting the government for what he calls weak immigration policies and reckless spending. It’s why he’s cozying up to Trump, pitching a sibling bond between nations. “Ireland and America, we are siblings,” McGregor said. “We consider America our big sibling. It’s important for Ireland to be a peaceful, happy, prosperous country for the 40 million Irish Americans to have a place to visit, to come back to their home. We wish for our relationship with the United States to continue, and we wish to be taken care of by the big bro. United States should look after its little bro.” It’s a plea wrapped in pride, and whether it moves the needle or not, McGregor’s making sure his voice echoes from Dublin to D.C.